The following types of manuscripts are considered for peer-reviewed publication in Biogeosciences (BG) and its discussion forum Biogeosciences Discussions (BGD):
- Research Articles report substantial and original scientific results within the journal scope.
- Review Articles summarise the status of knowledge and outline future directions of research within the journal scope. Before preparing and submitting a review article, please contact an editor covering the relevant subject area and an executive editor.
- Technical Notes report new developments, significant advances and novel aspects of experimental and theoretical methods and techniques which are relevant for scientific investigations within the journal scope. Manuscripts of this type should be short (a few pages only). Highly detailed and specific technical information such as computer programme code or user manuals can be included as electronic supplements. The manuscript title must start with "Technical Note:".
- Peer-reviewed Commentaries and Replies continue the discussion of preceding papers beyond the limits of immediate interactive discussion. They may be longer and submitted later than the comments exchanged in the Interactive Public Discussion of papers in BGD. They undergo the same process of peer-review, publication and interactive discussion as articles and technical notes and are equivalent to the peer-reviewed commentaries and replies in traditional scientific journals. The manuscript title should start with "Commentary on" or "Reply to".
- Corrigenda correct errors in preceding papers. The manuscript title is: Corrigendum to "TITLE" published in JOURNAL, VOLUME, PAGES, YEAR. Please note that Corrigenda are only possible for final revised journal papers and not for the corresponding Discussion Paper.
Please also note the following
- Manuscripts should be as concise as possible but not at the expense of scientific accuracy and completeness. To promote scientific conciseness and completeness at the same time, the inclusion of a comprehensive abstract is encouraged. There are no specific page limits and there is no special manuscript category for accelerated publication since the process of peer-review and publication in BGD and BG is inherently efficient and rapid.
- Manuscripts have to be written in English, and authors are responsible for correct spelling and grammar. Moreover some General Obligations for Authors have to be considered.
- Manuscripts can be accompanied by supplementary material for the visualisation of results or documentation of details (movies, data sets, etc. - for details see Manuscript Preparation).
||The supplementary material shall contain only complementary information but no scientific interpretations or findings/messages that would go beyond the contents of the manuscript.
- For more information about the evaluation of manuscripts see: Review Process and MS Evaluation Criteria.