Submit your manuscript
Before the submission of your manuscript to the Editorial Support for peer review, you are kindly requested to do the following:
File submission for review process
After the manuscript registration, you are kindly asked to upload those files which are necessary for the peer-review process. The following files are required:
- the abstract (title, authors, affiliations, abstract text, sample) as a *.pdf file;
- the complete manuscript (abstract, text, tables, figures) as a *.pdf file.
Other possible review files include the following:
- Any supplementary material (if available) must be submitted as a *.zip archive or single *.pdf file. The overall file size of a supplement is limited to 50 MB. Authors of larger supplements are kindly asked to submit their files to a reliable data repository and to insert a link in the manuscript. Ideally, this linkage is realized through DOIs (digital object identifiers).
- The author's response in case of "minor" or "major" revisions must be submitted as one separate *.pdf file (indicating page and line numbers) structured in a clear and easy-to-follow sequence: (1) comments from referees/public, (2) author's response, and (3) author's changes in manuscript. Regarding author's changes, a marked-up manuscript version (track changes in Word, latexdiff in LaTeX) converted into a *.pdf and including the author's response must be provided.
File submission for publication of discussion paper
After the acceptance of your manuscript for publication as discussion paper in the discussion forum of the journal, you will be informed by email and are kindly asked to upload your discussion paper as *.pdf file. Although initials are used in reference lists, please consider using full first names on the title page. Discussion papers do not undergo typesetting and proofreading; instead, Copernicus adds a citation header to your uploaded *.pdf file and the merged file will then be published. Please note the sketch of this process.
File submission for production of final revised paper
After the final acceptance of your manuscript for publication in the journal, you will be informed by email and are kindly asked to complete the file upload for the publication production process. Then, please submit the following files:
- the actual text followed by the table(s) and figure caption(s) prepared in the way as outlined in the manuscript preparation as one file in LaTeX (as a *.tex file) or MS Word format (as a *.doc/*.docx file). Although initials are used in reference lists, please consider using full first names on the title page;
- all figures, numbered (e.g. f01, f02, ..., f11, f01a, f01b) and prepared in the way as outlined in the manuscript preparation, as one *.zip archive (or other compressed formats). Possible figure formats are *.pdf, *.ps, *.eps, *.jpg, *.png, *.tif, and *.gif.
Remark on file sizes
Authors are kindly asked to find the best balance between quality of figures (and submitted material) and overall file size. Individual figures should not exceed 5 MB, and the overall size of all submitted files excluding supplements should not exceed 30 MB.